Thoughts, Tips, Ideas and Tricks to live your best life
I wish you all the best year yet, full of dreams and wishes come true, abundance, happiness, and health. For some reason I am just so excited for this year! I'm not exactly sure why, but I am enjoying this excitement. Typically most of us set a new years resolution which is great, but this year I am going to suggest something a little different.
Instead of setting a new years resolution, which often revolves around giving up something, I am going to suggest tweaking, replacing, creating and adding things. I promise these tiny shifts will create big changes in your life, because it has for me. Maybe you won't see any results right away, but one day you'll notice, "wow, I'm a lot happier, healthier or better off financially than before!"
1. Create a playlist of songs you absolutely love AND the lyrics are uplifting/have a positive message. I have this playlist on youtube, when I hear a song that matches both of these criteria I add it to my playlist, all of my songs are uplifting with a positive message, about winning, lasting love, encouragement, or just plain being happy. "I can't stop the feeling" by Justin Timberlake is the epitome of what I mean. Thank you so much for creating such an incredible song!
2. Rock out to these songs! Who cares if you are a bad dancer, if you drove past me today you would have saw this crazy chick completely rocking out to her incredible playlist!!!!
3. Meditate. 5 minutes and hour... It doesn't matter, just do it. There are youtube videos for those of you that think there is supposed to be a certain way to do it. All else fails just sit down, set a timer and close your eyes. There is no wrong way, its ok if your mind won't stop racing. There are hundreds of approaches to meditating, try all of them and see which one suits you!
4. Learn something new. Try a new recipe, implement something interesting from a book, follow a youtube tutorial that you like, or ask a friend or family member to teach you something you think they are really good at. Talk about an incredible compliment!
5. Try eating Vegan or Gluten Free one day a week. Both have excellent health benefits. I am Vegan Gluten Free, my transition was very slow, see my article about becoming gluten free under the "Wellness" category. Eating Vegan will definitely save you money, at the very least a couple dollars on your meal if you go out to eat. So try it out, just one day a week.
6. Spend more time outside. How ever it suits you, the outdoors has so many incredible benefits. Not to mention a natural incredible source of vitamin D that we all need. My favorite is to go for a walk in the morning with my tea or coffee.
7. Get a plant for inside your home. If you are a plant person like me, then you already have them, yay! But if you automatically say "I am only good at killing plants" Look into succulents, snake plants or the potos plant. All of these plants are very hearty, if you forget to water them they will most likely come back to life pretty easily, and don't need too much sunlight.
8. Toss something that does not line up with who you want to become. Right now :) Stand up and find something that doesn't suit you anymore. I toss something, just one thing every month. This helps a lot to keep my home up to date with who I am becoming. Maybe even play catch up from this past year and toss 12 things!
9. Replace your lotion with olive oil or coconut oil. Not only is this cheaper for you, both immediately but also long term, but its SO much healthier for your skin, hair and body. Lotion naturally has a lot of chemicals. That lotion that smells so good has a lot of chemicals to make it smell so good. Ever since I began using coconut oil as my lotion my skin has gotten so much softer, and once its rubbed in it smells like nothing.
10. Replace your cleaning products with more natural chemical free alternatives. Clean with white vinegar instead of windex, use essential oils in place of your 409... Or simply buy Seventh Generation cleaning products instead of the typical name brand cleaning products most of us are familiar with. Personally I am switching to essential oils, just like my yoga studio.
11. Compost! If you have the space or means. This simple switch in habit is hugely beneficial to the health of our earth. Not to mention you could be creating the most rich and nutrient soil for your plants :)
12. Take 5 minutes to do an "I Like List" or a Gratitude list. I got this from Abraham Hicks, and I LOVE it. I do this everyday, I take a piece of paper and just ramble what ever I like or am thankful for, most of the time I mix both in. There's not wrong way to do this, its super fun, and immediately it puts you in a better mood. If you were already happy, that happiness will be taken to a higher level.
13. Record all the good things through out the day. I have a tiny note book that I bought at staples for .50 cents. And as something good happens through out the day I write it down. You could also record in in your phone... I think this is my most recent habit I have take on, and also the one where I see the biggest impact. I also include something I love about myself, and how far I have come in the past two years.
14. Take 5 minutes every single day to work on a goal you have, in addition to what you already have planned for the day. I do this with exercise, as a part of my routine for getting ready for the day. I set a timer for 5 minutes, and always start with sit-ups, as I get to tired to do any more, I switch to planks, push ups, donkey kicks... But you can do this with anything.
15. Make your home something you LOVE. Start with cleaning and organizing, then as you come across something you absolutely love find a way to incorporate it into your home. Maybe replace the bedding, pillows, dishes... OR hire a professional.
16. Hire a professional to help you achieve or create something that you want. There is something so amazing about working with a professional to catapult you into what you want to achieve. It may be expensive, but its worth it. You are worth it.
17. Affirmations. Man are these powerful. If you don't know where to start just look up "affirmations" on youtube. You can simply listen and repeat affirmations from a recording, or you could make up your own. Now I make up my own, I do them while I am exercising or driving. You simply say a statement that feels good to you it doesn't matter if it is true yet. The key is that the statement feels good as you are saying it. Sometimes I'll just keep saying different statements until one feels good, then I'll keep repeating that one. Sometimes what felt good yesterday will not feel good the next day and that is ok.
18. Drink more water :) if you already drink lots of water switch it up by adding fruit or tea into the water, and add coconut water into the mix. Drinking water with fruit or tea hels your body retain the hydration better. After doing hot yoga every day and feeling dehydrated even though I drank a gallon of water a day is what led me to this amazing suggestion from my incredible yoga teacher. It works very well :)
19. Turn off the news. If you like to be informed, read the news articles that speak to you. Do not watch the news. The news has so many subliminal messages that we simply do not need. If you read the news instead, you have time to digest what you are reading, and think about the validity, or the authors opinion. It may even lead you to something else you'd like to know more about.
20. Save a specific amount of money in a savings account. Even just $5 a month will add up. And that will not hurt your wallet. If you are already a good saver, awesome! Learn something else that will improve your financial IQ, like investing, and put it into practice.
21. Take on the "no complaint" challenge. Check out the book "A Complaint Free World" by Will Bowen. The link is long, but here it is. This is such a powerful challenge, that I am starting again. Last time it took me a year and 22 days, and I was so proud of myself that I stuck with it. But the coolest thing is that people were noticing. I was noticing how much my life was getting better in all areas. So no complaining for 21 consecutive days, if you do you start over. I dare you! :)
22. Do something for the pure and simple joy and fun of it. Every day. Often we forget to do fun things, its so easy to get caught up in the rat race, but this will shift your energy and help attract the exact thing that you are working so hard to get.
23. Laugh, even if that is fake laughing in front of the mirror. It works :)
24. Read. You know how powerful reading is, so pick a book that interests you and enjoy :)
25. Celebrate or give back to someone else. This one just makes me smile. And something I will be focusing on this year.
26. Experiment. With an attitude of curiosity you can make huge shifts in your life! Some experiments I did this year, was smoothies for the month of September, and hot yoga every day for three weeks in October. With the attitude of "I wonder what will happen" I am significantly healthier because of it. And just more excited about life in general.
Do you have any tweaks, or adjustments that have worked for you? E-mail them to me and I'll add them to the list! We are always growing, so lets put intention to grow into the person we want to become! Rather that doing a resolution of something you will quit or give up, bring a different approach to 2018, an approach of curiosity, inclusion, and ease. By changing a habit you change your life. All of these habits are things that I do, and a few of them are things I will incorporate into my life more often. I'm so excited for 2018, and cannot wait to see all the wonderful things that are in store.
Sending you love!
I'm very passionate about a lot of things, often trying to incorporate all of it into my life!